Home Security Tips: How to Protect Your Home from Burglars
If you are looking for ways to protect your home from burglars, you are not alone. With more than 3.7 million home burglaries each year, many homeowners are looking for ways to safeguard their valuable assets. The following are some simple home security tips you can to help prevent a burglary.
1. KEEP YOUR LAWN IN CHECK
A well-maintained lawn goes a long way toward protecting your home from burglars. When your home is overgrown with shrubbery, it provides plenty of space for burglars to hide. By trimming away bushes or trees, you will have a clear, unhindered view of any intruders attempting to break in.
Here are some actions you can take to ensure your lawn remains in tip-top condition:
- Mowing. Mow your lawn weekly to keep your grass at an optimum level.
- Trimming. Pruning should be a regular part of your lawn care. Effective pruning can help head back and thin out any shrubbery around your lawn.
- Raking. Make sure to rake any leaves or debris that may have ended up in your yard. Use a standard rake or leaf blower.
2. KEEP EXPENSIVE ITEMS OUT OF VIEW
Burglaries are typically crimes of opportunity. If a burglar sees expensive items inside your home, they are likely to break in and steal. To protect your home from burglars, keep expensive items out of view.
One way to do this is to use blinds to creatively conceal expensive items. Say, for instance, you have an expensive television. You may want to keep the blinds around the television closed at certain parts of the day, especially when you aren’t around. This will help prevent passersby from seeing you have an expensive television and attempting to break in.
You can also get creative with where you place items in the home as well, such as keeping expensive item out of view of windows.
3. DON’T ADVERTISE NEW PURCHASES
When you purchase new items, you don’t want everyone to know. One way you may be showing off your purchases unknowingly is leaving boxes of purchased goods near your trash bin or even hanging out of your trash bin. This is a huge problem around Christmas time, but can also be a problem around birthdays and other holidays.
Instead of placing product packaging out where everyone can see, break down the box and place it in a dark trash bag or deep inside your trash bin, where it is not visible to passersby.
4. INSTALL A HOME SECURITY ALARM
The best way to keep burglars out of your home is to install a quality home alarm system. There are many reasons why you need a home security system including:
- Protect Valuables. A security alarm helps ensure valuables stay safe by repelling intruders with a loud noise and notifying the authorities that you have experienced a break-in.
- Deter Crime. When burglars know your home is protected with a home security system, they are less likely to try to break in. A 2009 study revealed that crime goes down in a neighborhood as the number of home security systems rise.
- Get Remote Monitoring. Many modern security systems will also allow you to monitor your home while you are away. Depending on your provider, you can monitor items such as cameras, locks, thermostat, lights and more.
ENHANCE YOUR HOME SECURITY
Looking for a quality home security system for you and your family? NCA Alarms offers the best home security alarms on the market at a competitive rate. With NCA Alarms, there are no long-term contracts, no automatic renewals and a long history of great customer service, including 24-hour live local telephone answering by our trained technicians. Learn more today by contacting us at (615) 777-7622.